A huge thanks to everyone who attended the 2014 Disabled and Proud Conference! Relive the experience with transcripts and presentations from sessions and view photos of all the fun and learning. And let us know what you liked, and what we can do better!
Disabled and Proud: Dare to Dream
October 18-19, 2014
Syracuse University Campus
A FREE conference for current and future students with disabilities and their families – the next generation of leaders on campus and beyond!
Disabled and Proud provides opportunities for students to connect, educate, and motivate each other to pursue their academic and social goals with intention and direction. Attendees are encouraged to build more inclusive environments in their schools and on their campuses.
- Keynotes from GLEE’s Lauren Potter, musician and advocate Keith Jones, and a panel of current and graduated college students (and advocates) with disabilities on Presuming Competence!
- Workshops, panels, and talks in three topic areas: Tools and Resources, Knowing Yourself, and Campus Activism
- Full parent strand of sessions, including a keynote from award winning filmmaker Dan Habib, on Supporting Your Disabled and Proud Student
- Saturday night “Disability Cafe” with music, dance, and poetry performances – and an open mic!
- Learn more about how to get to and around Syracuse and housing options during the conference.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should attend Disabled and Proud?
Disabled and Proud is for any college student with an intellectual, developmental, learning, physical, or other disability; for high school or college age students with disabilities thinking about attending college; and we are offer a strand of sessions for parents so they can support their students to be Disabled and Proud!
When/where will the conference be held?
Disabled and Proud will be Saturday and Sunday, October 18 and 19, 2014. Most sessions and activities will be at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel and Conference Center, on the Syracuse University Campus in Syracuse, NY.
What does it cost to attend Disabled and Proud?
Where should I stay during the conference?
A block of hotel rooms will be reserved at a special conference rate (until October 1) and we suggest you share rooms with other conference attendees to not only make friends, but also to share the costs. You can look for roommates on the Disabled and Proud Facebook Group.