Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can and should attend InclusiveU?
    There are no rules about students needing to be a certain age, having a certain type of disability, level of functioning, etc. But make sure that applying to be a student at Syracuse University is what YOU want. Don’t let anyone talk you into college because they think it might be good for you or there aren’t many other good options. The final decision should always be yours. Students are required to follow the Syracuse University Code of Student Conduct, respecting university property, other students, and themselves. If you are worried about your disability affecting your ability to follow this conduct code, then talk to the InclusiveU Director. Usually we can work out supports for you as you adjust to SU; in other cases, taking courses may not be a good idea, but there might be other opportunities for you to be in the university community.
  • Can I stay in a dorm on campus?
    Yes! Most students stay with their families or get apartments near campus, but there are a limited number of on-campus housing options available for Fall 2019. Please let us know if you are interested in living on campus.
  • Can my parents or siblings be my support providers?
    If this is the only way, then your parents or siblings can provide supports for you. But imagine any enrolled Syracuse University undergraduate student bringing a parent, brother, or sister to class – it’s usually not a good idea because sometimes you will want things that happen in class to stay private (like personal discussions or opinions). We have partnered with the Kelberman Center to facilitate the hiring of matriculated SU students for this role – as they know the ins and outs of campus better than anybody!
  • Can I use campus health services if I have medical concerns?
    Yes. The $150 Health and Wellness fee is paid for as part of your admission into InclusiveU, so students can use campus health services if you get sick on campus. Health services on campus is good for things like first aid, if you start to feel sick while you are on campus, or other minor medical problems. We recommend having a clinic and doctor off-campus, especially if you have complicated health needs. Syracuse University is right next to both Crouse Hospital and Upstate University Hospital. So if there’s a medical concern, emergency care and urgent care departments are less than five minutes away. There are also many spaces around campus if you need quiet spaces to rest or express behaviors in private – we can talk about what you may need.
  • Will I get an SU ID card?
    This is a very important part of being a college student. You’ll be a college student, so yes, you get an ID card. You can also use your ID card to take books and movies out of the library, to store money and buy lunch at cafeterias and local restaurants, and to get student discounts.
  • Can I visit campus before I decide to apply?
    Yes. You and your family are welcome any time. Please contact us to be invited to our Information Session this December. And every Spring, as part of prospective student weekend, InclusiveU offers an open house, tours of campus by current InclusiveU students, a chance to meet peer partners, and information sessions for parents and students. Contact InclusiveU to learn more.
  • Can I flunk out of SU?
    If you are having trouble in your classes, you will have to meet with your academic advisor. University College and InclusiveU will try to figure out if you need help or more support. If you do not attend class or do the coursework, though, you will be asked to leave – being responsible for your own success is part of being a college student, too.
  • I don’t have an official “intellectual disability,” but I also don’t have a regular high school diploma or New York Regents Diploma because of my disability. Can I go to Syracuse University through InclusiveU?
    Right now, InclusiveU is limited to students with the label of “intellectual disability.” But we realize many students with autism, learning disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, or other disabilities may be stuck because they can’t get into college degree programs, but they aren’t “disabled enough” to be in programs for students with intellectual disabilities. Please contact InclusiveU and we can talk about other options that might work for you.
  • How can I convince my parents or teachers to let me go to college?
    Your parents and teachers may not know that people with intellectual and developmental disabilities can and do go to college. Show them this website. Show them some of the books listed in the resources.
    College is a big step. Parents and teachers may be scared to let you take such a big step. Give them a list of reasons why you want to go to college. Speak up at your I.E.P. or I.S.P. meetings about your college goals. Contact us if we can help.

Below are some statements others might make about you going to college, and some things you talk about in response.

  • “The work at college is much, much harder than the work in high school.”
    I know it will be hard. But I can get accommodations through the disability services office and I can audit courses if I think they will be too hard to pass. Taking classes will let me learn things I couldn’t otherwise, meet new people, make new friends, and experience a typical college experience.
  • “They donʼt have ‘special classes’ in college.”
    Many colleges and universities do have special classes for students with disabilities. But, I don’t want to just take those special classes, I want to take real college classes.
  • “What if you fail your classes?”
    Lots of people fail classes in college, regardless of their disability. Did you fail any classes? (They may get uncomfortable with this question, but itʼs good to make them think!)
  • “Itʼs not safe on college campuses. Youʼre not ready to be on your own”
    All parents want their children to be safe. We can talk about ways for me to be safe on campus. The best way for me to learn how to be on my own is to let me try. I can also make lots of friends that can help me be safe.

How can I pay for college?
Check out our “Paying for InclusiveU” page for some tips. There are several different options for to paying for college. You may find one of these covers all your costs, or you may combine several different sources:

  • Personal earnings or savings – You can use your own money to pay for classes yourself
  • Family earnings or savings – Your family can help you pay for classes
  • Scholarships or grants – You can apply for money that you do not have to pay back
  • Loans – You can apply for a loan to pay for your classes, but you will have to pay it back later.
  • Support from adult agencies – If you are receiving services from agencies like the Arc or Vocational Rehabilitation, they may be able to help you pay for classes, especially classes that will help you get a job. Ask your team, vocational counselor, or service coordinator about ideas for paying for classes

Useful Definitions

Didn’t find the answer to your question? We still have the answer! Contact InclusiveU and ask us.