315.443.​4058 taishoffcenter@syr.edu 300 Huntington Hall, Syracuse NY 13244

Frequently Asked Questions

Deciding & Applying to InclusiveU

  • Who can and should attend InclusiveU?
    There are no rules about students needing to be a certain age, having a certain type of disability, level of functioning, etc. But make sure that applying to be a student at Syracuse University is what YOU want. Don’t let anyone talk you into college because they think it might be good for you or there aren’t many other good options. The final decision should always be yours.
    Students are required to follow the Syracuse University Code of Student Conduct, respecting university property, other students, and themselves. If you are worried about your disability affecting your ability to follow this conduct code, then talk to us before you apply. Usually we can work out supports for you as you adjust to SU; in other cases, taking courses may not be a good idea, but there might be other opportunities for you to be in the university community.
  • What if I’m having trouble convincing my parents that I’m ready for college?
    Your parents and teachers may not know that people with intellectual and developmental disabilities can and do go to college. Show them this website! Give them a list of reasons why you want to go to college. Speak up at your I.E.P. or I.S.P. meetings about your college goals and contact us if we can help.
    Some things others might say about you going to college,and some things you can talk about with them:

    • “The work at college is much, much harder than the work in high school.”
      I know it will be hard. But I can get accommodations through the disability services office and I can audit courses if I think they will be too hard to pass. Taking classes will let me learn things I couldn’t otherwise, meet new people, make new friends, and experience a typical college experience.
    • “They donʼt have ‘special classes’ in college.”
      Many colleges and universities do have special classes for students with disabilities. But, I don’t want to just take those special classes, I want to take real college classes.
    • “What if you fail your classes?”
      Lots of people fail classes in college, regardless of their disability. Did you fail any classes? (They may get uncomfortable with this question, but itʼs good to make them think!)
    • “Itʼs not safe on college campuses. Youʼre not ready to be on your own.”
      All parents want their children to be safe. We can talk about ways for me to be safe on campus. The best way for me to learn how to be on my own is to let me try. I can also make lots of friends that can help me be safe.
  • Can I visit campus before I decide to apply?
    Yes. You and your family are welcome anytime. InclusiveU offers an open house, tours of campus by current InclusiveU students, a chance to meet peer partners, and information sessions and webinars for parents and prospective students throughout the year.
  • I just want to work at SU, not take classes. Do you have any advice?
    You can find job openings at Syracuse University on the Syracuse University Job Opportunities website.
  • Can I flunk out?
    If you are having trouble in your classes, you will have to meet with your academic advisor. University College and InclusiveU will try to figure out if you need help or more support. If you do not attend class or do the coursework, though, you will be asked to leave – being responsible for your own success is part of being a college student, too.
  • I don’t have an official “intellectual disability,” but I also don’t have a regular high school diploma or New York Regents Diploma because of my disability. Can I go to Syracuse University through InclusiveU?
    Right now, InclusiveU is limited to students with the label of “intellectual disability.” But we realize many students with autism, learning disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, or other disabilities may be stuck because they can’t get into college degree programs, but they aren’t “disabled enough” to be in programs for students with intellectual disabilities. Please contact InclusiveU and we can talk about other options that might work for you.
  • How can I pay for college?
    There are several different options to pay for InclusiveU. You may find one of these covers all your costs, or you may combine several different sources:

    • Personal earnings or savings – You can use your own money to pay for classes yourself
    • Family earnings or savings – Your family can help you pay for classes
    • Scholarships or grants – You can apply for money that you do not have to pay back
    • Loans – You can apply for a loan to pay for your classes, but you will have to pay it back later.
    • Support from adult agencies – If you are receiving services from agencies like the Arc or Vocational Rehabilitation, they may be able to help you pay for classes, especially classes that will help you get a job. Ask your team, vocational counselor, or service coordinator about ideas for paying for classes

Attending InclusiveU

  • Can I stay in a residence hall on campus?
    Yes! Most students stay with their families or get apartments near campus, but there are a limited number of on-campus housing options available. Please let us know if you are interested in living on campus.
  • Can my parents or siblings be my support providers?
    If this is the only way, then your parents or siblings can provide support for you. But imagine any enrolled Syracuse University undergraduate student bringing a parent, brother, or sister to class – it’s usually not a good idea because sometimes you will want things that happen in class to stay private (like personal discussions or opinions). So don’t be surprised if InclusiveU staff try to figure out other options for you, like paying undergraduates to provide the support, working with an agency, or other creative ideas.
  • Can I use campus health services if I have medical concerns?
    Students that pay the student fee each semester can use campus health services if you get sick on campus. Health services on campus are good for things like first aid if you start to feel sick while you are on campus, or other minor medical problems. We recommend having a clinic and doctor off-campus, especially if you have complicated health needs. Syracuse University is right next to both Crouse Hospital and Upstate University Hospital. There are also many spaces around campus if you need quiet spaces to rest or have behaviors in private that might upset other people – we can talk about what you may need.
  • Will I get an SU ID card?
    Yes, and you can use your ID card to take the bus, check books and movies out of the library, to store money and buy lunch at cafeterias and local restaurants, and to get student discounts.

Didn’t find the answer to your question? We can still help!